From: Liam Helmer (linuxlists_at_thevenue.org)
Date: Fri 30 Jan 2004 - 21:47:34 GMT

It sounds to me like there's definitely interest. The thing is, you
haven't told anyone what freevps really does at this point. Virtually
nobody on this list, I imagine, is running that version of redhat and
that kernel. And, if they are, they're looking to upgrade, because it's
very hard to secure an old redhat distribution anymore! I've looked on
your site, and what it does is not that obvious. So, other than being
distro-spefic, how does FreeVPS now differ from vserver? What are the
design goals of FreeVPS? So far, you've mentioned that it's specific to
hosting providers. Will it work for desktop systems? Small office
systems? Distributed computing farms? Everywhere else vserver might be
being used? Although I'm sure that hosting providers use vserver a lot,
I'm also sure that there's other uses that are totally different.

Given that we're on this list, we're presumably enjoying the stuff the
vserver is doing, and we're not going to want to have any of that go
away. But, there's a big shakedown of the architecture going on anyways,
now is honestly a perfect time to merge projects, and hopefully get lots
of cool features from either side. This is not a contest of "my version
is better than your version". This is simply people trying to create
something that's cool. <grin> At least, as far as I can tell.

For me, personally, I need something that can be used as generically as
possible. I'm using it more as an extended version of chroot, and I tend
to use the chbind and chcontext commands directly. So, for me, the
kernel work and the low level tools are the most important, and the
userspace tools are secondary. But, I know there's tonnes of people who
are using it as a little "server inside a server" environment too. What
I like is something that's generic enough at the low level that it's
useful in many different ways. What I'm sure a lot of other people like
is the ability to use vservers with very little prior setup and
knowledge (i.e. it Just Works(tm)). For me, I like to roll my own... I
find that what "just works" for people tends to almost do what I want,
but not quite. Ahh, the curse of open source... so many people, so many
wants, so many needs, so few people who actually contribute code <grin>.

Cheers,
Liam