From: Thomas Gelf (vserver_at_gelf.net)
Date: Fri 27 Feb 2004 - 09:54:47 GMT

Hi Alex,

I've had a look at freevps (just downloaded the source, didn't try it
out). vifconfig seems to be a very cool thing, do you consider it
possible to adapt somthing like that to the linux-vserver project?

I believe that creating freevps was a great work, but I prefer the
vserver project for the following reasons:

- I'll not go to use a redhad-like 2.4.18-x kernel on my debian servers,
  I prefer patches to the latest stable kernel, I'm using 2.4.25 at the
  moment and I'll switch to v2.6 as soon as possible, at the moment I'm
  missig support for ctx-based disklimits in kernel v2.6
- linux-vserver is a community project and this community seems to be
  very active!

In my opinion the best way for both projects would be to merge now, as
both projects are undergoing deep changes for kernel v2.6 (has been
discussed earlier on this list):

- find a common solution for the networking stuff, I prefer the FreeVPS
  way
- find a common way for handling ctx-based disk/memory-limits and quotas
- ...

--
Thomas Gelf <vserver_at_gelf.net>