From: Sam Vilain (sam_at_vilain.net)
Date: Sun 09 May 2004 - 21:28:12 BST

As long as you have gcc 2.95.3+ (IIRC - check the kernel README) then
you shouldn't have a problem. You can run distros with different libc's
inside your vservers happily.

The RH6.1 machine will need plenty of updates before it can work with a
2.4 kernel. Again, it's all in the kernel documentation.
Documentation/Changes within the source tree lists the exact package
requirements.

You could always put a new OS on the root system, and run the old RedHat
system inside a vserver :-)

HTH,
Sam.