From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Tue 11 May 2004 - 22:59:31 BST

On Tue, May 11, 2004 at 11:50:16PM +0200, Mauro Calderara wrote:
> Hi everyone
>
> i'm not sure whether i'm posting to the correct list but i expect the
> most people here that have seen the problem i met:
>
> i'm using vserver on debian woody (2.4.25-vs1.26) and Paul Sladen's
> bind9-nocapset stuff from his page. Has anyone ever tried to run named
> of this package as non-root user using the -u option? i get here
>
> named: -u not supported on Linux kernels older than 2.3.99-pre3 or
> 2.2.18 when using threads
>
> when starting named. my options are "-u named -t /var/bind9 -c
> /etc/bind/named.conf"
> ... it is to say that this problem occurs both inside the vserver and
> on the host-os, i.e. it is in fact not a vserver-problem. I still ask
> on this list because if there are people using this package, they will
> probably run vservers. I tested another package with the same result.
> This was an issue 2 years ago on this mailing list but the guy with the
> problem solved it by switching to djbdns which i'd like to avoid. Has
> anyone seen this problem too? I have it here on 2 different machines
> but according to google it seems not a problem for lots of people,
> there are only few hits and no fixes or explanations i found ...
> Bertl, the good-karma-guy from #vservers on OFTC suggested i use strace
> to investigate the problem but i was unable to find something useful.
> maybe bind has a problem with the "vs-1.26"-part of the output ...
> could that be? i.e. how could i hack the kernel-source to return e.g.
> 2.4.25 instead of 2.4.25-vs1.26 ... or is that a bad idea because it'd
> break other stuff? the strace-output is available on
> https://limes2.dnsalias.net/namedstrace .

The following might sound funny, but I'd suggest to
give it a try:

rename the kernels version/extraversion to something
like 2.4.25 instead of 2.4.25-vs1.26 and try again,
maybe the bind9 package is just to stupid to parse
the kernel version correctly ...

(although I doubt this, and I didn't have a look at
the bind source code yet ...)

HTH,
Herbert

PS: this can be done in the toplevel Makefile ;)