From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Fri 14 May 2004 - 21:01:34 BST

On Fri, May 14, 2004 at 05:38:47PM +0200, Konrad Korzeniowski wrote:
> Hi everybody!
>
> I couldn't find any contact (e-mail) to the developers of incredible
> product - vserver, so I'm writing here to point out two "inconveniences"
> which I've encountered during installation of virtual hosts.

as this is a community project, this is the right place
anyway ...

> Both are touching starting scripts in /etc/init.d/ . I'm using two
> vservers on two phisical machines connected by heartbeat daemon
> (http://linux-ha.org). Vservers are "moving" between this machines in
> case of failure of one of them. util-vserver scripts have to "talk" with
> heartbeat using scripts located /etc/init.d/ but they didn't :-(
>
> 1. First problem was the easy one to solve - there were no script in
> /etc/init.d/ for starting just ONE specified vserver from heartbeat.
> I've quickly found out that construction of /sbin/vserver is that what I
> (and heartbeat) need, so I've just copied this file with
> /sbin/util-vserver definitions to /etc/init.d/.
>
> Maybe in future releases Developers should add some link or script to
> vserver (withot s at the end) script to /etc/init.d/ in 'make install'
> stage?

interesting idea ...

> 2. Second one was horror. It took me few hours (no messages in logs) to
> find out that heartbeat daemon which is trying to start some service
> from /etc/init.d/ first is probeing it with 'status' option, greping the
> result for 'running' keyword (and something else, I don't have it front
> of my eyes now) and in this case not even trying to start service.
> /etc/init.d/vservers and /sbin/vservers for stopped service are
> returning '...not running...' 8-O

yeah, that is legacy stuff, maybe we should change that,
enrico, what is your opinion on that?

> Is there any standart defining what should return stopped service called
> out with option 'status'? I don't know who should I blame for this
> situation ;-)
> For now i've just changed source of /sbin/vserver repleacing 'not
> running' with 'down', but it would be nice not to have do that again in
> case of new installations of marvelous PRODUCT called "vserver".
>
> Oh, and BTW - be aware of running two or more vservers with daemons
> using loopback interface for communication - only one can bind to it :-)
> My solution was to create IP aliases (priv class) and reconfigure
> daemons to use it as loopback. Maybe there is better solution?

it is documented (somewhere ;) that the loopback (lo)
interfaces should not be used, so that's probably the
best solution for the moment ...

> Thank you for your great job and attention, sorry for my poor english.

you're welcome, and nothing to be sorry about ...

> Happy "dual" vserver admin,
> Konrad Korzeniowski
> Poland

maybe you want to add yourself to the happy users page
  http://www.linux-vserver.org/index.php?page=VServer+Users
or the hosting page
  http://www.linux-vserver.org/index.php?page=VServer+Hosting
or even make a donation