From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Sat 22 May 2004 - 01:00:45 BST

On Fri, May 21, 2004 at 11:19:26PM +0000, ryanmh_at_comcast.net wrote:
> Just FYI...

thanks for checking this for us ...

Roderick: I asked Ryan to do those tests for us
to check the impact of linux vserver on typical
applications ...

> Ran unixbench-4.1.0 on a test machine four times with the following kernel configurations; the value for each run is the final score output by unixbench.
>
> Complete unixbench output can be downloaded here:
> http://www.sculpturedlife.com/vserver/unixbench.tar.bz2
>
> 2.6.6
> vanilla1: 495.1
> vanilla2: 494.7
> vanilla3: 493.6
> vanilla4: 494.1

average = 494.3 +/- 0.6

> 2.6.6-vs1.9.1 in host
> host1: 496.7
> host2: 494.1
> host3: 496.1
> host4: 497.3

average = 496 +/- 1.5

> 2.6.6-vs1.9.1 in vserver
> vserver1: 452.0 (ignored)
> vserver2: 484.5
> vserver3: 488.2
> vserver4: 487.9

average = 486.8 +/- 2

so the overhead of linux vserver on the host
is not measurable (it seems that it is slightly
faster than a vanilla kernel, but within the
expected and measured noise)

and the overhead inside a vserver is roughly
2% which leaves us with 98% of the native
performance ...