From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Fri 28 May 2004 - 10:51:17 BST

On Fri, May 28, 2004 at 11:26:19AM +0200, Alexander Goeres wrote:
> Hi Herbert,
>
> Am Donnerstag, 27. Mai 2004 19:51 schrieb Herbert Poetzl:
> > On Thu, May 27, 2004 at 06:28:23PM +0200, Alexander Goeres wrote:
> > > Hello to everybody and especially to Herbert..
> >
> > Hi Alexander!
> >
> > > Just one question, because I couldn't find anything
> > > about it in my mails from the list:
> > >
> > > Can the fakeinit flag be applied with static context
> > > ids and the setting of disk limits in the stable vserver branch?
> >
> > hmm, the purpose of fakeinit (flag) is to either make
> > a faked 'init' process visible inside the context or
> > to use a real init process, which get's the faked pid
> > 1 inside the context ...
> >
> > this isn't related in any way to static vs. dynamic
> > context id's.
> >
> > nevertheless static contexts are required to use
> > the Context Disk Limit feature, because xid tagging
> > can not work with dynamic contexts ...
> >
> > > Only thing I found was Herbert mentioning it would
> > > work in the 1.3x branch but perhaps that changed in the meantime??
> >
> > interesting that I should have mentioned that
> > explicitely, but I can assure you, that this hasn't
> > changed ...
>
> Just to make sure, that I'm not hallucinating informations..:-)
> from one mail of yours on 18.01.04:

has been quite some time, right?

> " a) the vserver patches (from early ctx-X up to vs1.24)
> do not support fakeinit and static contexts
> (this is a bug fixed in vs1.3.1) "

correct, and it was a) a bad choice of words, because
it should have been ...

  the vserver patches (from early ctx-X up to vs1.24)
  do not support fakeinit with static contexts ...

and b) enrico found a workaround to get this working
even on the broken kernels (from userspace), so

... here some (currently valid) facts:

  - 1.27 is the latest stable release
  - 0.29.5 are the suggested util-vserver tools
  - fakeinit _with_ static contexts work for that

as written in that mail, you can try with the testme.sh

> The 1.3 branch has steadily made progess to 1.3.9 till now. Is there a
> schedule to be forseen when it will become 1.4?

no schedule, I asked everyone on the list to test
the 1.3.x release and report back, so far I got
_zero_ replies (neither bad nor good) and that is
where 1.3.x remains for now ...

main development is done on 1.9.x atm, so only
bugfixes for 1.2 and 1.3 ...

HTH,
Herbert