From: Martin List-Petersen (martin_at_list-petersen.net)
Date: Wed 16 Jun 2004 - 17:48:53 BST

On Wed, 2004-06-16 at 17:26, Herbert Poetzl wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 16, 2004 at 05:06:50PM +0100, Martin List-Petersen wrote:
> > I've discussed this issue with Herbert and others before.
> >
> > Allready now we have spamassassin, denial of html mails, denial of
> > posts, that don't have the mailinglist in To: or Cc:, virusscan and
> > various other stuff in place on the mailinglist server and you wouldn't
> > believe how much spam actually ends up to be managed by the moderator +
> > what spamassassin allready takes.
>
> could you make those spamassasin tags available
> to the recipient of the ml mails? that would
> allow folks to further restrict the postings ...

Will do so.

> > I have suggested, that I could implement a whitelisting option that
> > looks like this:
> >
> > - All subscribers to the mailinglist are automatic whitelistet.
> > - "+" as a delimiter would be taken care of, meaning if you use one
> > time email addresses like martin+20040616_at_mydomain.top the frontend
> > would search for martin_at_mydomain.top in the whitelist.
> > - Everybody who is not in the whitelist will get a mail to confirm hos
> > post, once confirmed (either by reply or url) the mail is send to the
> > mailinglist
> > - Mails not confirmed within 7 days will be discarded automatically.
> > - Mails where the mailinglist name not is in either To: or Cc: will
> > allways be discarded.
> >

> > I haven't yet got any feedback if that would be acceptible or not
>
> that sounds acceptable to me ...

Besides that ... i forgot in my proposal that it would be a one time
situation, that you have to confirm your post. Once you've done it one
time you will be added to the whitelist and never have to do it again
for that address.

> PS: it seems that folks still have problems subscribing
> to the mailing list ...

I'm not allways good in communicating things :)

> PPS: maybe I misunderstood your proposal the last time

That is correct. I'm subscribing people manually. The problem is that i
have to wipe the hole mailinglist server and recreate all mailinglists.
Takes some time to collect all data (archives, users etc.)

I hope to get it done this week.

/Martin