From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Mon 21 Jun 2004 - 14:33:31 BST

excerpt from the irc log ...

<ruzin> Did anyone ever suggest or try CRM114?
<Bertl> it's a mail/spam filter right?
<ruzin> Yes, it's unbelievable
<ruzin> http://crm114.sourceforge.net/
<Bertl> does it work under today's spam modalities?
<ruzin> ever since we started using it about 8-10
          months ago, we have 0 spam.
          It catches 100% of the spam.
<ruzin> Really unbelievable.
          We didn't believe it in the beginning too
<ruzin> But, someone will have to train it for
          2-3 days with the errors
<ruzin> You only train it with the errors
<Bertl> from the site:
<Bertl> Criteria for categorization of data can be
          by satisfaction of regexes, by sparse binary
          polynomial matching with a Bayesian Chain
          Rule evaluator, a Hidden Markov Model, or
          by other means.
<Bertl> CRM114 is compatible with SpamAssassin or
          other spam-flagging software; it can also be
          pipelined in front of or behind procmail.

<Bertl> but anyway, could you please post a short
         statement about this tool on the ML, maybe
         with a short comment regarding your experiences
         with it ...
<ruzin> I don't have much experience with it.
         And I prefer to write about it here, not on
         the mailing list. The mailing list is too
         disconnected. I would rather talk to someone
         interactively (most preferrably on the phone
         or in person).

<Bertl> okay, any objections if I post your statements
          here on the ml, then?
<ruzin> no, not a problem.

<Bertl> so aside from this great hint, what would be
         your opinion on the questions I asked?

<ruzin> I'd say 1) with the CRM114
<ruzin> Bertl, 2) yes, 4) no

> 1) do we want an open mailing list (like lkml)
> instead of a closed (subscription only) list

      YES with the CRM114

> 2) do we want martin to maintain and further
> improve the existing solution

      YES

> 3) are we able to tolerate/ignore the unavoidable
> spam every day/week/month

> 4) do we want the mailing list to become a medium
> of communication and cooperation for linux
> vserver

      NO