From: Yann.Dupont (Yann.Dupont_at_univ-nantes.fr)
Date: Tue 05 Oct 2004 - 18:16:08 BST

Herbert Poetzl wrote:

>depends on the hardware, and of course on the usage pattern,
>because one instance of postfix will not cause _any_ memory
>pressure on a typical system ...

Yes. The other machine with 2.6 kernel also have vservers but with much
lighter usage

>>Is there a chance there are allocations on vserver code that can affect
>>this ?
>>

>sure, and it might even be the cause (especially because
>it for sure adds to the memory pressure) ...

Ok, so do you think vserver IS the culprit, because of a bug in vserver
2.6 memory allocation code, Or (much more probable)
vserver just triggers the bug because the vservers, in a cumulative
effect are BIG consummer of memory ?
In that case, vserver is not the bug owner, it's the 2.6 kernel in
itself that have defficiencies in that case...

Maybe time to buy an opteron system :) Or just see the 2G/2G option I
already seen discussed in linux kernel mailing lists...
And posting in linux kernel mailing list.

Thanks for your response...

Oh, btw, You may be interrested by the fact we have now more than 100
vservers deployed... Thanks again (you & others) for this
very nice piece of software...

--
Yann Dupont, Cri de l'université de Nantes
Tel: 02.51.12.53.91 - Fax: 02.51.12.58.60 - Yann.Dupont_at_univ-nantes.fr