From: Jean-Yves Leblin (Jean-Yves.Leblin_at_lina.univ-nantes.fr)
Date: Mon 11 Oct 2004 - 10:39:37 BST

hi all,
  I have a problem to configure user quota on a vserver :

I use a 2.4.27 kernel with those patches :
http://www.13thfloor.at/vserver/s_release/v1.29/patch-2.4.27-vs1.29.diff
http://www.13thfloor.at/vserver/s_addons/quota/patch-2.4.27-vs1.29-q0.14.diff

and the linux-2.4.26-rc1-devmapper-ioctl.patch

no problem for patching
then i have this kernel config :

CONFIG_BLK_DEV_VROOT=y

CONFIG_BLK_DEV_LVM=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_DM=y
(as i use evms)

CONFIG_INOXID_GID32=y
(tried whith uid24/gid24 too)

CONFIG_QUOTA=y

no devfs :
# CONFIG_DEVFS_FS is not set

I use those tools :

http://www.13thfloor.at/vserver/s_addons/quota/cq-tools-0.06.tar
http://www.13thfloor.at/vserver/s_addons/vroot/vr-tools-0.14.tar.bz2

plus

quota 3.12-2
quotatool 1.4.4-1
util-vserver 0.30-8
vserver-debian 0.1.4
from the debian sarge distrib

I've read many times :
http://vserver.13thfloor.at/Linux2.6/index.php?page=Per+Context+Disk+Limits (which is not exactly what i need as far as i understand)
http://vserver.13thfloor.at/Linux2.6/index.php?page=Per+Context+Quota
(which is what i need)
http://www.13thfloor.at/old/VServer/HowTo_LVMQ.shtml
http://vserver.strahlungsfrei.de/tiki-download_wiki_attachment.php?attId=9

plus the mailing list archives and irc transcript discussions and still
have problems

if i start from the beginning :

i mount my evms partition with tagxid :
mount -t ext2 -o tagxid,rw,usrquota /dev/evms/vserver_test
/vservers/test/

i install a "normal" vserver on this volume with the "newverser"
command, it has quotatool 1.4.4.1 and quota 3.12-2 installed from the
debian sarge distrib

(do i need to setup quotas on the host server on this partition ?)

everything works fine except if i mount the device with the -o tagxid
(looks like the vserver sees the whole partition as read only)
it doesn't work better with -o tagctx

now with the vserver stopped :

mknod /dev/vroot0 b 4 0
cp -ap /dev/vroot0 /vservers/test/dev/hdv1

i had this to the vserver script in init.d (no rc.local in debian)

vrsetup /dev/vroot0 /dev/evms/vserver_root

reboot

my main problem right now is when i make a :

cqhadd -v -x 1000 /dev/vroot0 i get a :

robin:~# cqhadd -v -x 1000 /dev/vroot0
adding quota hash for /dev/vroot0 ... failed: No such device

so my problems are :
1) when i mount my partition with -o tagxid or tagctx the vserver
doesn't start properly (maybe it's normal)
2) cqhadd does'nt work

thanks for your help

JY