From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Wed 20 Oct 2004 - 15:33:32 BST

On Tue, Oct 19, 2004 at 05:15:18PM -0400, Charles Baker wrote:
> I'm using some vservers on RedHat 7.3 w/ kernel 2.4.24-vs1.26. I'm
> running apache and jboss on the vservers. I've been patching our custom
> ears, jars etc. Now all of a sudden the /dev/null devices on two of the
> vservers are showing up as rw-r--r-- instead of crw-rw-rw- . I noticed
> this when switching to a non-root user and bash reports:
>
> bash: /dev/null: Permission denied
>
> And when I try to start jboss I get:
>
> run.sh: /dev/null: Permission denied
>
> jboss never starts. Any ideas before I go monkeying around and try to
> recreate the device.

hmm, well, I'd say some smart 'root' user removed the
device (which is possible inside a vserver) and then
failed to recreate it (because that isn't allowed inside
a vserver) so s/he decided to create a file instead ..

(probably nobody will notice ;)

if that 'theory' doesn't hold, you are encountering severe
filesystem corruption and I'd suggest to check the fs
immediately ...

> Can I even recreate a device in a vserver?

yes, you can, given that you have proper capabilities,
but for sure you can create the device from 'outside'
so a simple 'cp -va /dev/null /vservers/<name>/dev/null'
should be sufficient

HTH,
Herbert