From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Mon 22 Nov 2004 - 15:13:01 GMT

On Mon, Nov 22, 2004 at 03:41:44PM +0100, Lars E. D. Jensen wrote:
> Hi
>
> I want to track down some problems I have with my first vserver setup :)
>
> I'm using the newest patch for kernel 2.4.28 -> 2.4.28-vs1.29 and the
> appropiate util-vserver tools. The vserver is running on Debian linux 3.0r3.
>
> I get this when I start the vserver:
> SIOCSIFBRDADDR: Cannot assign requested address
> SIOCSIFFLAGS: Cannot assign requested address

your vserver is trying to configure the interfaces,
this is not allowed and will fail

> I get this when I stop the vserver:
> SIOCSIFBRDADDR: Cannot assign requested address
> SIOCSIFFLAGS: Cannot assign requested address
> (The same as when I start the vserver.)

again, the vserver scripts (inside the vserver) try
to shutdown the interface, which you do not want
and therefore is not allowed either ...

> hwclock is unable to get I/O port access: the iopl(3) call failed.
> mount: can't find / in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab

again something which isn't supposed to happen
inside a vserver, you do not want the vserver to
mess with your cmos clock, right?

> I've googled but found no solution. How can I solve these issues?
> I've tried to install Apache 1.3 and it runs fine (I think).

remove all hardware related init scripts from your
vserver and everything should be fine ...

using a prebuilt image or the alpha tools will
take care of taht for you ...

> See below for full context when starting/stopping the vserver:
>
> Starting the vserver - In context (marked # error?):
> /var/util-vserver/sbin# ./vserver mt start
> Starting the virtual server mt
> Server mt is not running
> SIOCSIFBRDADDR: Cannot assign requested address # error ?
> SIOCSIFFLAGS: Cannot assign requested address # error ?
> ipv4root is now xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
> Host name is now dcmshvs1
> Domain name is now dcmshvs1.dcmedia.biz
> New security context is 49154

try to use static context ids, otherwise you will
ran into problems once you want to use xid tagging

> Starting system log daemon: syslogd.
> Starting kernel log daemon: klogd.
> Starting internet superserver: inetd.
> Starting PCMCIA services: module directory /lib/modules/2.4.28-vs1.29/pcmcia

nothing which should happen inside a vserver, the
kernel is maintained on the host. period.

> not found.
> Starting OpenBSD Secure Shell server: sshd.
> Starting deferred execution scheduler: atd.
> Starting periodic command scheduler: cron.
> Starting web server: apache.
>
> Stopping the vserver - In context (marked # error?):
> /var/util-vserver/sbin# ./vserver mt stop
> Stopping the virtual server mt
> Server mt is running
> SIOCSIFBRDADDR: Cannot assign requested address # error ?
> SIOCSIFFLAGS: Cannot assign requested address # error ?
> ipv4root is now xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
> New security context is 49153
> Stopping periodic command scheduler: cron.
> Stopping web server: apache.
> Stopping internet superserver: inetd.
> Shutting down PCMCIA services:.
> Stopping OpenBSD Secure Shell server: sshd.
> Saving the System Clock time to the Hardware Clock...
> hwclock is unable to get I/O port access: the iopl(3) call failed. # error ?
> Hardware Clock updated to Mon Nov 22 13:45:13 UTC 2004.
> Saving state of known serial devices... backing up serial.conf done.
> Stopping deferred execution scheduler: atd.
> Aborting iptables load: unknown ruleset, "inactive".

you do not want klogd inside a vserver either
(it won't work anyway)

> Stopping kernel log daemon: klogd.
> Stopping system log daemon: syslogd.
> Sending all processes the TERM signal... done.
> Sending all processes the KILL signal... done.

all the stuff below is not supposed to happen inside
a vserver, so remove/deconfigure relevant scripts

> Saving random seed... done.
> Unmounting remote filesystems... done.
> Deconfiguring network interfaces: done.
> Deactivating swap... done.
> Unmounting local filesystems... done.
> mount: can't find / in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab # error ?
> Rebooting... sleeping 5 seconds
> Killing all processes

HTH,
Herbert