From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Mon 22 Nov 2004 - 20:04:27 GMT

On Mon, Nov 22, 2004 at 07:32:58PM +0100, Lars E. D. Jensen wrote:
> Hi Herbert
>
> Thanks a lot for your help!
>
> I've followed your advice and managed to configure the vserver so almost all
> errors are gone.
>
> This is still coming when I start the vserver (but doesn't appear when I shut
> down):
>
> SIOCSIFBRDADDR: Cannot assign requested address
> SIOCSIFFLAGS: Cannot assign requested address

this could also be caused by having an ip configured
for creation within the vserver scripts, but the ip
already is configured on the system ...

        IPROOT=10.0.0.1
        IPROOTDEV=eth0

if the system already has a 10.0.0.1 the tools will
try to create an alias with this ip, and fail ...

removing the eth0 will solve that issue ...

> I removed all /etc/init.d/ scripts except the ones I use for ssh and apache.
>
> Does it have something to do with proc ? (I'm guessing, since I don't
> understand vserver completely yet)
>
> I've read this security tip in a document:
> "make sure your /proc entries are restricted"
>
> Restricted to what? Is this inside the virtual server or on host server?

this is called proc security, and is done by recent
util-vserver automatically, but probably doesn't
apply in your case, as the proc security is off by
default ...

for details see here:

        http://linux-vserver.org/Documentation
        http://linux-vserver.org/Proc-Security