From: Gilles (gilles_at_harfang.homelinux.org)
Date: Sat 25 Dec 2004 - 16:00:48 GMT

Hello.

I use Debian GNU/Linux with kernel 2.6.7.

[Because of the incompatibilities between kernel patch and
vserver tools, I compiled a "vanilla" kernel patched with
"patch-2.6.7-vs1.9.2-rc10.diff".]

I then created a bare-bone vserver using the method indicated
in "http://linux-vserver.org/alpha+util-vserver", namely with
a command like:

# vserver template build -m debootstrap -context 10 -ip 192.168.1.1 -dev eth0 -- -d sarge

[I uninstalled all Debian packages related to vserver. I compiled
the alpha-util from "util-vserver-0.30.196.tar.bz2" and installed
in "/usr/local/util-vserver/".]

Starting the newly created vserver:

# /usr/local/util-vserver/sbin/vserver template start

the output is:
-----
Starting system log daemon: syslogd.
Starting kernel log daemon: klogd.
Starting MTA: exim4.
Starting internet superserver: inetd.
Starting deferred execution scheduler: atd.
Starting periodic command scheduler: cron.
-----

which seems fine.

But, when I enter it:

# /usr/local/util-vserver/sbin/vserver template enter

the output is:
-----
mesg: /dev/pts/457: Operation not permitted
-----

How can I avoid that error?

Inside the vserver, I tried the "ps" command, which returned:
-----
Error: /proc must be mounted
  To mount /proc at boot you need an /etc/fstab line like:
      /proc /proc proc defaults
  In the meantime, mount /proc /proc -t proc
-----

and this is the contents (which was created automatically) of my
"/usr/local/util-vserver/etc/vservers/template/fstab" file:
-----
none /proc proc defaults 0 0
none /tmp tmpfs size=16m,mode=1777 0 0
none /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0
-----

Nevertheless, _within_ the vserver, "/etc/fstab" is empty.
I tried the suggestion above:

vs:/# mount /proc /proc -t proc

which resulted in:
-----
mount: permission denied
-----

So, what should I do here?

While the vserver was running (within which I hadn't installed
_any_ "user" program), the CPU was 99%-100% busy!
I noticed that thanks to the "gkrellm" monitor, since "top" didn't
indicate anything special.
I also tried to run "vtop" (on the host system) but _nothing_ showed
up in the terminal window.
The help for the command is not very helpful:
-----
        top: procps version 3.2.1
usage: top -hv | -bcisS -d delay -n iterations [-u user | -U user] -p pid [,pid ...]

-----

Then, when I stop the vserver:

# /usr/local/util-vserver/sbin/vserver template stop

the output is:
-----
Stopping periodic command scheduler: cron.
Stopping MTA: exim4.
Stopping internet superserver: inetd.
Saving the System Clock time to the Hardware Clock...
hwclock is unable to get I/O port access: the iopl(3) call failed.
Hardware Clock updated to Sat Dec 25 14:26:02 UTC 2004.
Stopping deferred execution scheduler: atd.
Stopping kernel log daemon: klogd.
Stopping system log daemon: syslogd.
Sending all processes the TERM signal...mount: permission denied
killall5: mount returned non-zero exit status
killall5: /proc not mounted, failed to mount.
done.
Sending all processes the KILL signal...mount: permission denied
killall5: mount returned non-zero exit status
killall5: /proc not mounted, failed to mount.
done.
Saving random seed...done.
Unmounting remote and non-toplevel virtual filesystems...done.
Deconfiguring network interfaces...done.
Deactivating swap...umount: none: not found
umount: /tmp: must be superuser to umount
done.
Unmounting local filesystems...umount: none: not found
umount: /tmp: must be superuser to umount
umount: /dev/hdv1: not found
umount: /: not mounted
done.
mount: permission denied
Rebooting... ifdown: shutdown eth0: Permission denied
ifdown: shutdown br0: Permission denied
ifdown: shutdown dummy0: Permission denied
ifdown: shutdown dummy1: Permission denied
-----

Why does "umount" fail?
What is this "/dev/hdv1" (which is, rightly, not found)?
Why does "ifdown" try to shutdown the interfaces (other
than "eth0")?

[Luckily the CPU load went back down to 1%-3% ;-)]

So, many questions that seem to reveal some failure of
the default setup on Debian systems?

Thanks.
Gilles