From: Ola Lundqvist (opal_at_debian.org)
Date: Mon 27 Dec 2004 - 21:42:10 GMT

Hello

On Mon, Dec 27, 2004 at 08:57:09AM -0500, Stephen Frost wrote:
> * Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at) wrote:
> > | - How should the packaging devide up the groups most conveniently?
> >
> > util-vserver-0.30.196
> > util-vserver-lib-0.30.196
> > util-vserver-sysv-0.30.196
> > util-vserver-core-0.30.196
> > util-vserver-build-0.30.196
> > util-vserver-legacy-0.30.196
>
> Good grief, Charlie Brown. That's a hell of alot of packages. The
> 0.30.195 i386 .deb that I did ended up being only 330k. I don't think
> it's useful to split up util-vserver into this many packages on Debian,
> in fact, I think it'd be a *terrible* idea. I'd say perhaps a main
> util-vserver package and a -doc package. Maybe a -lib/-dev, but only if
> something outside of util-vserver is expected to use the libraries/API
> provided by util-vserver (do any actually exist?, is it even sane?).

As the current maintainer of the debian package I must say that I agree.
Do not split unless there is a real need for it. As there is no lib/dev
things yet it should be be split out and as there is no real huge docs
yet it should not be split either. That is my packaging practice at least. :)

> > | - Very likely a shared lib package should be included only once if
> > | there is more than one binary package.
> > |
> > | * guest systems cannot run klogd (because there is only one kernel and
> > | the klogd thus is best addressed in the host system).
> > | So a distribution has to ship an empty dummy package to satisfy the
> > | packages which depend on klogd (Debian: linux-kernel-log-daemon).
> >
> > hmm, this is a kernel issue, and maybe we can solve
> > that at this level (by providing a fake or empty
> > connection point for klogd) but IMHO it would be best
> > to break up the syslog package into syslogd and klogd
> > (which would render this point obsolete)
>
> ehhh, I don't think util-vserver as a package should really care about
> this all that much. People can install syslog-ng and use that instead
> (that's what I do). A fake/empty connection point for klogd isn't all
> that bad of an idea, imv, though.

Interesting. I have never heard about this issue. I have run very lot
of vservers and some of them are logging servers.

> > | * There is a number of compile warnings. Some of them sound
> > | like they should be fixed. Are they ok as can be seen at:
> > | http://backend.verfaction.de/~kk/util-vserver/buildlog_stderr.log
> >
> > probably heavily depends on the used compiler ...
>
> Debian default currently would be gcc 3.3, or so.

Some arches use 3.3 and some 3.4 as far as I know.

> Stephen

Regards,

// Ola

/  opal_at_debian.org                     Annebergsslingan 37      \
|  opal_at_lysator.liu.se                 654 65 KARLSTAD          |
|  +46 (0)54-10 14 30                  +46 (0)70-332 1551       |
|  http://www.opal.dhs.org             UIN/icq: 4912500         |