From: Hans Ulrich Niedermann (vserver_at_n-dimensional.de)
Date: Tue 28 Dec 2004 - 19:08:34 GMT

Herbert Poetzl <herbert_at_13thfloor.at> writes:

> On Tue, Dec 28, 2004 at 11:23:03AM +0100, Hans Ulrich Niedermann wrote:

[ Vserver guest systems are different from normal systems, and thus
  require special handling services for klogd and hardware access.
  Herbert Poetzl says "just disable the services"
  Hans Ulrich Niedermann says "provide dummy packages to replace the
  services". ]

>> And for the other hardware stuff Herbert mentioned (random, rtc,
>> usb)... theoretically, this vserver-guest package could pull in
>> dependencies on adapted versions, or provide virtual packages which
>> aren't useful on the guest system.
>
> hmm, yes, would be an option, but what is the problem
> with simply disabling those services?
>
> just as an example: Mandrake has a tool called chkconfig
> where you simply do
>
> chkconfig --del network
>
> and it removes all the links from the various runlevels
> so that 'network' isn't started anymore ...

The problem is that as soon as the next update to the "network"
package happens it will re-enable the service.

So you have to manually stop it and disable it (ugly, error prone,
maintenance intensive) or write a hook for your packaging system to
stop it (still ugly).

> doing the same for klogd, while leaving syslogd untouched
> would be precisely what you want here ...

If I want it disabled permanently, why install it in the first place?

The less obsolete stuff on the (vserver guest) system, the better.

> (similar is true for all the hardware specific stuff)

Exactly my point :)

Gruß,

Uli