From: Ola Lundqvist (opal_at_debian.org)
Date: Fri 07 Jan 2005 - 10:53:41 GMT

Hello

This is just my opinion on this matter.

On Fri, Jan 07, 2005 at 12:41:04AM +0100, Herbert Poetzl wrote:

> ... depends on you! ;)
>
> Greetings Community!
>
> don't be alarmed, we are not going to wipe out
> the stable 1.2x branch now (we rather let it die
> in piece, eventually) but we have reached a point
> where the spiffy nomenclature we (I?) came up with
> reaches it's limits ...
>
> ... so we have to decide what should be released
> after 1.29 ... the obvious options are:
>
> * 1.2YY (e.g. 1.210)
> * 1.2.Y (e.g. 1.2.10)
> * 1.2Y (e.g. 1.2A)
> * 1.2-z (e.g. 1.2-final1)
>
> funny but (maybe) problematic names would be:
>
> * 1.30
> * 1.29.1

I suggest one of the above two.
It would fit the standard version numbering scheme as the
development version should be named 2.0 when it is done,
as (I understand at least, it is more or less a total rewrite).
I change major versions when it is no longer backwards compatible
in some major way (new database format without good automatic transition
or similar).

MAJOR.MINOR.BUGFIX

We have major version 1
Minor version 29
and bugfix version 1.

If the new version contain new features it should be
named 1.30 or 1.30.0

> so please let me know if you find any of those
> appealing or disgusting and let me know if you
> have a better idea ... but do it soon, as a (minor)
> bugfix is on it's way ...

If it is a bugfix release then I suggest 1.29.1

> also feel free to let me know what you want us to
> do with the stable 2.4 branch in the future ...
> (currently it's in deep freeze, bug fix mode)

If you can keep the patches compatible with 2.4 kernel
that is great but not truely necessary. It would be nice
if the util-vserver tool is backwards compatible as
people do not change kernel on production servers that
much. At least I dont. On the other hand I do not have
many produciton servers anymore as I have switched job. :)

Regards,

// Ola

> TIA,
> Herbert

/  opal_at_debian.org                     Annebergsslingan 37      \
|  opal_at_lysator.liu.se                 654 65 KARLSTAD          |
|  +46 (0)54-10 14 30                  +46 (0)70-332 1551       |
|  http://www.opal.dhs.org             UIN/icq: 4912500         |