From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Tue 25 Jan 2005 - 15:13:39 GMT

On Tue, Jan 25, 2005 at 11:47:10AM +0100, Frank wrote:
> Hello,
>
> i am planning to patch a new kernel for my server based on 2.4.29.
> As far as I remember, the 1.3.x branch has not been updated for quite
> a while.

that's correct!

> Is it currently recommended to use the 1.3.9 branch, or
> should I better stick to the stable 1.2.x branch?

if you want the 'stable' stuff, stick with 1.2.x, if
you want new features and such, go for 2.6/1.9.x ...

> I can remember that Herbert stated that he would like to release a
> final 1.4 sometime last year - Because that did not happen yet, I am
> wondering what the current plans are (well, I guess you are just too
> busy with 1.9.x at the moment...)?

hehe, well, yes, and actually, there were no reports
regarding 1.2.x (neither good nor bad) which I consider
a good sign ...

I'm not planning on 'reviving' 1.3.x unless there is
a really good reason for doing so (i.e. somebody pays
for backporting 1.9.x stuff to 1.3.x, or 2.6 will
merge with 2.4 ;)

> To be honest, I would love to see NGNet integrated, too - but I admit
> that this wish is not realistic, because it might be too much work.

ngnet in 2.4 kernel? well, you can wish ...

> Still, I would like the 2.4-kernel to be supported longer, because
> I think this will be the preferred stable branch for some conservative
> setups...

yes, 1.2.x will be maintained until the last user
switched to 1.9.x (or 2.0.x later), please keep me
up to date of migrations ;)

> Nevertheless, this is a nice project and fun to play with :-)

good to hear! have fun!
Herbert