From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Wed 26 Jan 2005 - 15:01:20 GMT

On Wed, Jan 26, 2005 at 10:43:29AM +0100, Nicolas Costes wrote:

> 'Llo, all !
>
> I've built a few vservers now, and my last one hosts a Cups print server.
> When using 'du -sb /vservers/*' to get their respective size, I had the
> surprise that my Cups vserver takes 1.1Gb... While the others take 100Mb
> when 'empty' (Just created), and 110-250 Mb in use.
>
> I found that /vservers/vs4/proc/kcore take nearly 1Gb (That's the size of
> my RAM ;-)), and that the proc directory in this vserver is simply full
> of stuff (And worse, these have often a non-zero size, ), while the
> others' keep very light.

/proc is a _virtual_ filesystem, it doesn't use up
_any_ disk space at all, and you should not consider
it if you are interested in the space a vserver
uses up (on disk, that is), so your original command
should look like this:

 du -sxb /vservers/*

     -x File system mount points are not traversed.

> I decided to remove this vserver and build another to check if this was
> cause by installing a package... I couldn't do it, it seems that these
> proc entries are locked:
>
> # LC_ALL=C rm -rf vs4
> rm: cannot remove `vs4/proc/scsi/device_info': Operation not permitted
> rm: cannot remove `vs4/proc/scsi/scsi': Operation not permitted
> rm: cannot remove `vs4/proc/cpufreq': Operation not permitted
> rm: cannot remove `vs4/proc/mdstat': Operation not permitted
> rm: cannot remove `vs4/proc/ide/drivers': Operation not permitted
> rm: `vs4/proc/ide/hda' changed dev/ino: Operation not permitted

of course, you can not remove the /proc filesystem
by deleting files inside, you should _unmount_ it
(either from withing the vserver or the same namespace)

 umount /vserver/vs4/proc or
 umount /proc (inside the vserver)

> What happens ?

nothing unexpected, really ;)