From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Thu 27 Jan 2005 - 23:11:21 GMT

On Thu, Jan 27, 2005 at 09:35:16PM +0100, Werner Schalk wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I tried to install vserver on Gentoo using the howto on the Gentoo website as
> well as a document in the vserver wiki. When I now try to start my vserver I
> get the following error messages:
>
> # vserver -v gentoo-template start
> /usr/sbin/vserver: line 66: test: -v: unary operator expected

seems to me like the -v is actually interpreted by
the 'test' done to parse the options ... maybe a
bug in the source, what version are you using?
util-vserver-0.30.196?

> /usr/sbin/vserver: line 543: ip: command not found
> /usr/sbin/vserver: line 545: ip: command not found

this means that you 'forgot' to install the iproute(2)
package/tool which is used/required by the tools ...

> [ ... ]
>
> This seems to me that the -v switch is broken. The parameter --verbose seems

actually never heard of the '-v' switch ...

> to be ok:
>
> vserver --verbose gentoo-template start
> /usr/sbin/vserver: line 543: ip: command not found
> /usr/sbin/vserver: line 545: ip: command not found
> ipv4root is now 10.0.5.1
> ipv4root is now 10.0.5.1
> New security context is 49157
> * Setting system clock to hardware clock [UTC]...
> * Failed to set system clock to hardware clock

those are hardware related services and should not
be started inside a vserver guest (so it's okay
that they fail)

> [ !! ]
>
> * Setting DNS domainname to wschalk.org...
> [ ok ]
> * ERROR: Problem starting needed services.
> * "bootmisc" was not started.
> * ERROR: Problem starting needed services.
> * "syslog-ng" was not started.
> * Bringing eth0 up (10.0.5.1)...
> SIOCSIFADDR: Permission denied
> SIOCSIFFLAGS: Permission denied
> SIOCSIFBRDADDR: Permission denied
> SIOCSIFFLAGS: Permission denied
> SIOCSIFNETMASK: Permission denied
the same is true for the network config, which
is (would have been ;) done by the tools on the
host (iproute2)

> [ !! ]
>
> * ERROR: Problem starting needed services.
> * "sshd" was not started.
> * ERROR: Problem starting needed services.
> * "vixie-cron" was not started.
>
> Where can I find the configuration file vserver uses? I need to add
> capabilities to this vserver in order to make it work (sorry I am a complete
> newbie). I created my vserver as follows:

adding capabilities is usually a bad decision,
as the capset supplied with a default vserver
is sufficient _and_ secure ... adding other caps
than the default capabilities makes such a vserver
_insecure_

> # vserver gentoo-template build -m skeleton --hostname gentoo-template --flags
> lock,nproc --initstyle gentoo --interface gentoo=eth0:10.0.5.1/24
>
> Any ideas?

HTH,
Herbert