From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Mon 21 Feb 2005 - 21:16:05 GMT

On Mon, Feb 21, 2005 at 03:20:29PM -0500, Mark Bucciarelli wrote:
> Herbert Poetzl wrote:
>
> >let me know what you think!
> >
> it would be helpful to know what a suggested donation is. would you
> like $100/mo from each hosting company? $500? $50? typically, non
> profits here in the US have different levels: angels, benefactors,
> friends, demi-gods, etc.

sure, as this is a new concept (basically the linux-vserver
developers are all working for fun in their spare time) so
nobody has really thought about that yet (input appreciated)

as our motivation is not to get rich, but to develop great
_and_ free (as in beer and speach) software, the goal would
be to allow the developers to do their work without having
to think about their 'usual' bills ...

so depending on the number of companies interested in doing
such funding, it would be well in the range you mentioned
above ...

> also, maybe contact all hosting companies on the vserver list with a
> nice letter describing the risks associated with not supporing such a
> fund. not a threat, but detail what they gain.

hmm, well, maybe I'll focus on the oportunities not the
risks, as probably everyone can deduce them anyway ...

 - those interested in doing so (myself for example)
   could work on this project full-time ...

 - conference attendances and linux-vserver presentations
   could be arranged without a second though ...

 - internet connectivity (irc) and maybe conference calls
   could become simpler (or possible at all)

but let me point out that we will keep working on this
project in any case, just the amount of time and the
resulting quality will be different ...

> it's probably easier to find a big company to write one big check than
> 50 comanies that write smaller checks.

probably, but do we want some big company like M$(tm/R)
to be the one and only sponsor of such a project?

I guess a lot of power lies in the community and if from
the 50 companies writing smaller checks, one wanders off
for whatever reason, it's for sure not such an issue as
if the one big company decides to withdraw funding ...

> my 2 cents ...

are gladly accepted ;)