From: Bjoern Steinbrink (bjoern.steinbrink_at_isp4p.net)
Date: Wed 09 Mar 2005 - 22:19:28 GMT

On 2005.03.09 22:29:31 +0100, Gilles wrote:
> Hello.
>

> [Until we have a "plug-n-play" debian package with the latest version
> of vserver patch and tools,] I'm again trying to configure "Debian"
> vservers on Debian from source.
> Compiling kernel 2.6.11, patched with "patch-2.6.11-vs1.9.5-rc1.diff",
> and util-vserver-0.30.203 went fine.
>
> I built a Debian "template" vserver with
>
> vserver template build -m debootstrap \
> --hostname template \
> --netdev dummy0 --interface 192.168.83.99/24 \
> --context 99 -- -d sarge
>
> The procedure completed fine too. But problems remains, some of which
> I had mentioned a few weeks ago.
>
> Ideally, the "template" should be with the minimum functionality, with
> everything that's necessary (to make it comfortable to install the server
> applications) and nothing that comes in the way of vserver (i.e. all
> hardware- and kernel-related packages).
>
> So here is a list of steps that could be added to the "vserver build"
> script to come closer to such a ready-to-use vserver environment:
>
> 1. Removing dispensable packages:
>
> pciutils fdutils ipchains makedev ppp pppconfig pppoe pppoeconf
> dhcp-client console-common console-data console-tools klogd sysklogd
>
> [Note: klogd still triggers that cpu-hogging behaviour, which makes it
> *indispensable* to remove...]
>
> Others?
>
> 2. Installing indispensable packages:
>
> less ssh
>
> Others?

Hm, i could live without "less" in some vservers... Anyway, there would
have to someone maintaining the list of includes/excludes if we stop
simply relying on debootstrap to do it right, changes in the
dependencies may cause trouble. You can always pass parameters to
debootstrap with your build command and include/exclude packages in your
builds.

> 3. Prepare for package installation:
> (a) Copy the contents of the host's "/etc/apt/sources.list"

The sources.list from the vserver configuration should be copied.

> (b) Run "apt-get update"
>
> 4. Network interfaces
> (a) In the "/etc/init.d/reboot" script: Remove the "-i" option (to avoid
> the guest trying to deconfigure the network interfaces upon halting).
> (b) Remove "spurious" links to scripts that will try to configure the
> interfaces:
> update-rc.d -f ifupdown remove
> update-rc.d -f ifupdown-clean remove
> update-rc.d -f networking remove
>
> 5. ... [Not yet finished.]
>

> Some more questions:
>
> (a) Should I remove the "mount" package (to suppress any attempt by the vserver
> guest to try such things)? [The Debian package management issues a strong
> warning when uninstalling it (package is "essential").]
>
> Or should I only remove the symlinks as for the networking scripts?

Just the symlinks i'd say, secure mounts may become reality sometime.

> (b) At "vserver template stop", the following error is printed:
>
> Rebooting... /usr/local/util-vserver/sbin/vserver: line 740: test: too many arguments
>
> but there are only 273 lines in that file!
>
> (c) Inside the vserver, typing "mount" shows
>
> /dev/hdv1 on / type ufs (defaults)
> none on /proc type proc (defaults)
> none on /tmp type tmpfs (size=16m,mode=1777)
> none on /dev/pts type devpts (gid=5,mode=620)
>
> The contents of "/etc/vservers/template/fstab" is:
>
> none /proc proc defaults 0 0
> none /tmp tmpfs size=16m,mode=1777 0 0
> none /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0
>
> So I wonder: Where does that "/dev/hdv1" entry come from?
> And rightly, when stopping the vserver, I get the error:
>
> umount: /dev/hdv1: not found

"mount" just reads /etc/mtab, it doesn't care about the real mounts
(listed in /proc/mounts, but with less information).
The error message is most probably issued by some initscript that tries
to umount -a

> (d) The file "/etc/hostname", inside the vserver, contains the host's name instead of the
> guest name. Is it supposed to be so? ["uname -n" provides the right name.]
>
> (e) I must be missing something with "vprocunhide" because I can't seem to make it
> visible... I looked at
>
> http://www-user.tu-chemnitz.de/~ensc/util-vserver/doc/conf/configuration.html
>
> but the only reference is in "/etc/vservers/.defaults/apps/vprocunhide", which
> does not appear in my config directory.

Did you look at /usr/local/etc...? Since you didn't specify a prefix
while configuring the tools, everything got installed below /usr/local/

HTH
Bjoern