From: Gilles (gilles_at_harfang.homelinux.org)
Date: Wed 09 Mar 2005 - 23:52:21 GMT

> > 2. Installing indispensable packages:
> >
> > less ssh
> >
> > Others?
>
> Hm, i could live without "less" in some vservers...

It is because I wanted to look at some man page and it couldn't be displayed
because of "less" missing.

> Anyway, there would
> have to someone maintaining the list of includes/excludes if we stop
> simply relying on debootstrap to do it right, changes in the
> dependencies may cause trouble. You can always pass parameters to
> debootstrap with your build command and include/exclude packages in your
> builds.

Yes, thanks for reminding me of this.
But, on second thought, maybe it is still better to have the script actually
"building" the vserver to remove package known to cause troubles (like "klogd"
for instance).

> > 3. Prepare for package installation:
> > (a) Copy the contents of the host's "/etc/apt/sources.list"
>
> The sources.list from the vserver configuration should be copied.

Ah, that's the use of the "/etc/vservers/.distributions" directory!
But there is currently no "debian" sub-directory there...

> > (a) Should I remove the "mount" package (to suppress any attempt by the vserver
> > guest to try such things)? [The Debian package management issues a strong
> > warning when uninstalling it (package is "essential").]
> >
> > Or should I only remove the symlinks as for the networking scripts?
>
> Just the symlinks i'd say, secure mounts may become reality sometime.

OK.

> > (b) At "vserver template stop", the following error is printed:
> >
> > Rebooting... /usr/local/util-vserver/sbin/vserver: line 740: test: too many arguments
> >
> > but there are only 273 lines in that file!

Any idea on this one?

> > (c) Inside the vserver, typing "mount" shows
> >
> > /dev/hdv1 on / type ufs (defaults)
> > none on /proc type proc (defaults)
> > none on /tmp type tmpfs (size=16m,mode=1777)
> > none on /dev/pts type devpts (gid=5,mode=620)
> >
> > The contents of "/etc/vservers/template/fstab" is:
> >
> > none /proc proc defaults 0 0
> > none /tmp tmpfs size=16m,mode=1777 0 0
> > none /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0
> >
> > So I wonder: Where does that "/dev/hdv1" entry come from?
> > And rightly, when stopping the vserver, I get the error:
> >
> > umount: /dev/hdv1: not found
>
> "mount" just reads /etc/mtab, it doesn't care about the real mounts
> (listed in /proc/mounts, but with less information).
> The error message is most probably issued by some initscript that tries
> to umount -a

I noticed that but what I wanted to stress is that indeed "mtab" indicates
this "/dev/hdv1" although I couldn't find a reference to it (not in the config,
not in the host's "/dev" dir, not in the guest's).
Also what is this "ufs" type? This seems strange to me...

> > (d) The file "/etc/hostname", inside the vserver, contains the host's name instead of the
> > guest name. Is it supposed to be so? ["uname -n" provides the right name.]

Comment here?

> > (e) I must be missing something with "vprocunhide" because I can't seem to make it
> > visible... I looked at
> >
> > http://www-user.tu-chemnitz.de/~ensc/util-vserver/doc/conf/configuration.html
> >
> > but the only reference is in "/etc/vservers/.defaults/apps/vprocunhide", which
> > does not appear in my config directory.
>
> Did you look at /usr/local/etc...? Since you didn't specify a prefix
> while configuring the tools, everything got installed below /usr/local/

Actually I did specify a prefix; the "sysconfdir" is "/etc" (on the host) and there is
no occurrence of "vprocunhide" below "/etc/vserver".
The vprocunhide script is located under "/usr/local/util-vserver/lib/util-vserver";
what I actually want to know is where and what to write under "/etc/vservers/template"
("template" is the name of my vserver) so that the script does its office.

Many thanks,
Gilles