From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Wed 27 Apr 2005 - 18:47:41 BST

On Wed, Apr 27, 2005 at 07:12:21PM +0200, Gilles wrote:
> Hi Herbert.
>
> Still struggling with a ghost "init" and a horde of zombies...
>
> I forgot to tell (on IRC) that I couldn't reboot: "init" doesn't
> answer anymore! So I had to push the button :-{ [No alternative,
> I assume?]
>
> The behaviour is still the same unfortunately. I've let the
> computer do some work for a while (mutt, evolution, emacs, mozilla)
> No <defunct> processes.
>
> I've started (and stopped) the vserver *once*, now I can't start it
> anymore, the error is as before:
> -----
> vcontext: vc_create_context(): File exists

unusual .. but I would conclude that 'somehow' your
vserver does something with the init on your host
so I would suggest to look for things like ...

 - devices inside the vserver which should not be there
 - pipes/fifos leading out of the vserver

99% of such strange issues are caused by bad vserver
guest setups ...

> An error occured while executing the vserver startup sequence; when
> there are no other messages, it is very likely that the init-script
> (/sbin/init) failed.
>
> Common causes are:
> * /etc/rc.d/rc on Fedora Core 1 and RH9 fails always; the 'apt-rpm' build
> method knows how to deal with this, but on existing installations,
> appending 'true' to this file will help.
> -----
>
> And zombies are starting to crawl again.
> The first one to appear is "[lockfile]", followed by another of the same
> species 10 minutes later. [If that rings a bell for you.]

which is the result of the 'hanging' host init ...

PS: let's continue investigations when you return ...