From: Gilles (gilles_at_harfang.homelinux.org)
Date: Thu 28 Apr 2005 - 13:04:58 BST

Hi.

> > 1. vserver not running: no <defunct> processes.
> > 2. start vserver: still no <defunct> processes.
> > 3. stop vserver: every application closed becomes <defunct>.
> > 4. impossible to start the vserver again:
> > vcontext: vc_create_context(): File exists.
> > And "init" is hung (have to reset the computer).
> >
> > Ideas?
>
> well, next step is to trace the entire vserver startup
> with --debug and strace -fF to figure ...
>
> a) what is started and/or executed
> b) what might reach the init on the host
>
> it might also pose useful to turn on the linux-vserver
> debugging (especially the syscall command switch)

What I did:

- Recompile the kernel, enabling vserver debugging. [I didn't
  touch anything else in the config.]
- Run strace as you suggested above (but note that I didn't
  find a "--syscall" switch in the vserver script).

[I had attached a file with the output but it was refused by
Mailman because it is 87 kB in size. So I now sent it to you
(Herbert).]

*But* I couldn't reproduce the previous behaviour. Now the
vserver script seems to hang before the actual server is
started ("/proc/virtual/" contains no reference to new context
"99"), in function "clone" (cf. last line of "strace" output).

Does this give you some hints as to what is going on?

Best,
Gilles