From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Mon 02 May 2005 - 14:06:52 BST

On Mon, May 02, 2005 at 10:35:59AM +0200, Werner Schalk wrote:
> Hi,
>
> fantastic deleting everything in /vservers/test321/var/lib/init.d/* did work.
> Great and thanks again. Just one small thing. When I start my new vserver I
> get the following error message:
>
> # vserver test321 start
> * Caching service dependencies...
> * Setting DNS domainname to network.local... [ ok ]
> * Starting syslog-ng... [ ok ]
> Couldnt get a file descriptor referring to the console
> * Error loading key mappings
> /sbin/rc: line 250: rc_splash: command not found

well, kind of expected, your guest needs cleaning up ...

all services which are hardware related, like

 - setting the hwclock
 - configuring network devices
 - checking for new hardware
 - changing the keyboard layout
 - updating the boot splash screen ;)
 - ....

should be disabled in a proper guest ...

> [ !! ]
>
> [ ... ]
>
> The vserver itself is up and running but this minor problem still exists. Has
> anyone ever seen this and if so, how to solve this?

yup, usually (on non gentoo systems) it's simply done
by default (i.e. disabling all but minimal services)
but the gentoo recursive? service system makes it a
little trickier ...

but I remember folks who have done it ...

HTH,
Herbert