From: Mike Tierney (miket_at_marketview.co.nz)
Date: Sat 18 Jun 2005 - 10:41:10 BST

I use SuSE SLES 9 guests, except I cheated.

I just copied an entire "minimal" install and I use that (+ vserver config
file) as the vserver "base". Yep it's a big on the heavy side (at 220+
packages) but it seems to work just fine. And I use YAST inside my SLES 9
Vservers to connect to a local YOU update mirror (also running inside a
Vserver) and it all seems to work just fine.

This may not help you though as it sounds like you want a nice, tidy
solution!

On a positive(?) note, SuSE SLES 10 will incorporate Xen 3 into it and so
you won't need Vservers at all to run virtualized SuSE instances. Of course
that's not due for release until 1st Quarter of next year!

Hmm come to think of it, SuSE 9.3 has Xen packages available now, but I'd
use Vservers over Xen at the moment. However this may well change in August
when Xen version 3.0 comes out. There's lots and lots of news at the moment
about various big name vendors backing Xen, as well as stuff about it being
put into the mainstream Linux Kernel shortly.