From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Fri 24 Jun 2005 - 11:39:43 BST

On Fri, Jun 24, 2005 at 08:30:50AM +0200, Thierry-Jacques Ouedraogo wrote:
> Has anyone successfully used ucarp ( or vrrp ) with vservers.
> The idea is to have a master host with several vservers inside , and a
> hot standby slave host being the exact replication - via drdb for ex .
> In a vserver was to crash , the relay would be taken by the one on the
> backup unit with the relevant ip address.
>
> I cannot get it work properly, even when adding NET_ADMIN capability to
> the vserver .Whenever I try to run ucarp from within a vserver,it only
> works with the main interface (i.e the host ones) instead of being
> associated with the desired vserver virtual interface.

well, I doubt you are using ngnet, so there actually
is not 'vserver virtual interface' ...

> I am using 1.94 version on 10 vservers (5 on each host) serving as
> demo/test bed.
>
> I am wondering if there is not some conceptual/technical/whatever
> incompatibility.
> I am just missing the whole thing.

maybe you should give a short introduction what ucarp
or vrrp is and how it works .. that probably would
help identifying the issue, also consider updating
to 2.6.11/12 vs2.0-rc4 and recent tools (0.30.207)

> Does anyone have some experience with that topic ?
>
> Is there a more simple way to do faillover with vservers ?

depends on what you want to achieve ...