From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Fri 05 Aug 2005 - 21:06:37 BST

On Fri, Aug 05, 2005 at 09:57:32PM +0200, Andreas John wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Next time I will not hijack the thread anymore ... Well, you know I
> tried to hide my trivialities inside foreign threads :) I promise!
>
> But for now I stay within this one ...
>
> >yep, as the name says /legacy/ the reboot now works
> >with a kernel helper, so it is sufficient to change
> >nothing at all, just call into the kernel (from the
> >guest) and request a reboot (usually done by init
> >or with reboot -f)
>
> ah .... "-f" does the trick .... I think aliassing in bashrc will
> prevent most questions.
>
> But can't we make an /dev/initctl ? If yes, how?

/dev/initctl is a pipe created by init, so if you
start an actual init inside your guest, it will create
that pipe, then listen to it and once the reboot (or
shutdown) calls through the pipe, issue the reboot to
the kernel ...

which kind of setup you use is your choice ...

> foo:/dev# ./MAKEDEV initctl
> ./MAKEDEV: don't know how to make device "initctl"

it's no device, and you can not create devices inside
a guest anyways ...

HTH,
Herbert