From: Roderick A. Anderson (raanders_at_acm.org)
Date: Fri 12 Aug 2005 - 01:52:41 BST

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005, Herbert Poetzl wrote:

> > Unable to find device-mapper major/minor
> > Reading all physical volumes. This may take a while.
>
> sounds like either you are using lvm1 or you
> somehow forced fixed major/minor for device mapper,
> which are not available any longer (i.e. used by
> other devices) ...

Hum. The lvm sounds like the problem.

> ah, here is the important part ... unfortunately
> it seems that your mailer did cut it out :/

Not I was too lazy to type it in. Here is the rest.

No volume groups found
umount /sys failed: 16
mount: error 19 mounting ext3
mount: error 2 mounting none
switchroot: mount failed: 22
umount /initrd/dev failed: 2

> > Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempting to kill init
>
> result of kernel not being able to find your root
> device, which can actually have many causes ...

Been ther done that lots of tee-shirts.

> > I did not make any changes during make menuconfig -- accepting the
> > defaults. Any ideas as to what I missed?
>
> maybe a lot .. don't you have an existing, well
> tuned config for your server? if not, a .config
> file would be helpful here ...

The old .config would have been for vs1.9.4. This Ok? (Do you ever get
sleep? It must be after midnight in Austria and you were answering
questions early this AM. :-)

I'm going to look at the lvm settings and try my other working .config
later tonight or tomorrow AM.

Thanks for the ideas,
Rod