From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Fri 12 Aug 2005 - 01:00:32 BST

On Thu, Aug 11, 2005 at 03:51:25PM -0700, Roderick A. Anderson wrote:
> Well it seems I've found the same problem others have but no solution.
> It seems to be something about Fedora Core 3, SMP, and later kernels
> from pristine sources ( or in the case vs2.0 patched ). There were a
> couple of mentions of SCSI RAID devices also.
>
> This is a quad Xenon system with a "Mylex Corporation DAC960PG" host
> RAID controller.
>
> I followed the the instructions from
> http://linux-vserver.org/Step-by-Step+Guide+2.6 with the exception I
> did a make modules_install followed by a make install.
>
> The first error that comes back is:
>
> Unable to find device-mapper major/minor
> Reading all physical volumes. This may take a while.

sounds like either you are using lvm1 or you
somehow forced fixed major/minor for device mapper,
which are not available any longer (i.e. used by
other devices) ...

ah, here is the important part ... unfortunately
it seems that your mailer did cut it out :/

> Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempting to kill init

result of kernel not being able to find your root
device, which can actually have many causes ...

> I did not make any changes during make menuconfig -- accepting the
> defaults. Any ideas as to what I missed?

maybe a lot .. don't you have an existing, well
tuned config for your server? if not, a .config
file would be helpful here ...