From: Stephen Harris (lists_at_spuddy.org)
Date: Sat 13 Aug 2005 - 12:10:14 BST

On Sat, Aug 13, 2005 at 12:56:13PM +0200, Herbert Poetzl wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 12, 2005 at 10:25:44PM -0400, Stephen Harris wrote:
> > On Sat, Aug 13, 2005 at 03:43:37AM +0200, Herbert Poetzl wrote:
> >
> > Does this patch work with the 1.2 series? I can't use the 2.0 series
> > vserver because of my requirement for 2.4 kernels :-(
>
> there is a patch for 2.4 kernels, but it was not combined
> with linux-vserver (1.2.x) yet ... provided there is some
> interest and somebody (you?) is willing to test it, I see
> no problem to provide one ...

I'll happily test! The host is an NFS server for my home network and doesn't
do much else, so I can reboot it as needed, when I'm at home :-)

> > That's what was created by the install-fc1 script which came with
> > util-verser-0.30-0.
>
> hmm, how old is that package?

It's the one downloaded from
  http://www.13thfloor.at/vserver/s_release/v1.2.10/util-vserver-0.30.tar.bz2

[ Re IDE hotswap ]

> well, I don't remember an IDE hotplug standard by default,
> I know that some SATA enclosures support it ... but hey

In the 2.4 series you could do

  % hdparm -b 0 /dev/hdg
  dev/hdg:
   setting bus state to 0 (off)
   busstate = 0 (off)

and that would turn off the IDE bus (from the kernel perspective)
allowing you to swap disks on that bus (so something like a hotswap
enclosure is fine, ensuring you remove physical power from the device
before swapping it). Then you can do another hdparm and the kernel
would redetect devices on that IDE bus:

  % hdparm -b 1 /dev/hdg
  /dev/hdg:
   setting bus state to 1 (on)
   busstate = 1 (on)

And the following shows in dmesg output:
  Probing IDE interface ide3...
  hdg: Maxtor 6Y120P0, ATA DISK drive
  ide: drives found on hot-added interface.
  blk: queue c03462fc, I/O limit 4095Mb (mask 0xffffffff)
  hdg: attached ide-disk driver.
  hdg: host protected area => 1
  hdg: 240121728 sectors (122942 MB) w/7936KiB Cache, CHS=238216/16/63, UDMA(133)

> there is the source, use it ...

Unfortunately the changes between 2.4 and 2.6 make this non-trivial :-(
My memory is saying that /dev/hdg (in my case) becomes unusable after
the bus state is turned off, so we can't add the device back again,
and this is quite low level in the device management handler. (But I
could be wrong!)