From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Wed 07 Sep 2005 - 15:59:02 BST

On Wed, Sep 07, 2005 at 02:19:23PM +0200, Bert De Vuyst wrote:

> We would like to share the /home of a vserver to some workstations.
> The vserver does have a dedicated partition on the harddisk. Using the
> userpace NFS-server is not a option, we did use it in the past (and we
> don't want it back :-)

you would usually export the partition on the host

> What's the risk of using the kernel NFS daemon?

not more risk than using it on a normal linux box

> Is there a usefull alternative for NFS in this situation?

there are other shared filesystems available too
but they are probably not different regarding
security ...

> The host system is running linux-vserver 2.0, util vserver 0.30.208.
> The workstations are running debian and gentoo Linux.

just make sure that you do not serve the NFS with
xid tagging enabled, otherwise you might get funny
results ...

HTH,
Herbert