From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Thu 15 Sep 2005 - 03:09:18 BST

On Wed, Sep 14, 2005 at 03:00:55PM -0400, Chuck wrote:

> I just started my first vserver and it appears to work well however
> when I issue the stop command I get a timeout error.
>
> I can enter the vserver just fine and it appears to be working and
> I can ping the outside world and the outside world can ping it ok.
> I have no services set up in it yet so I have nothing to enter it
> directly from the outside yet.
>
> I exit the vserver by using the halt command. Then I issue this
> command and get this result:

hmm, I assume you entered it with 'vserver <name> enter'
if so, try to exit it with 'exit' or CTRL-D

> davin / # vserver gentoo stop
> A timeout occured while waiting for the vserver to finish and it was
> killed by sending a SIGKILL signal. Please investigate the reasons
> and/or increase the timeout in apps/vshelper/sync-timeout.

we are currently investigating this, basically the
following happens ...

 - the guest is instructed to shut itself down
 - the guest executes some shutdown scripts, but
   leaves somethin running
 - a timeout occurs, and kills off whatever is
   still running inside
 - the guest is properly terminated ...

> It does stop the verserver anyway. I checked that path and the only
> entry in apps was vunify.
>
> Did I miss a step somewhere?

probably not, it seems that this happens with
certain guest setups (shutdown scripts) and we
will work around that pretty soon, I hope :)