From: Chuck (chuck_at_sbbsnet.net)
Date: Wed 28 Sep 2005 - 12:07:16 BST

On Wednesday 28 September 2005 06:59 am, Oliver Welter wrote:
> Hi Chuck,
>
> > 1. Can I somehow set things up so a guest can execute a pre-defined
command
> > script on the host? This would allow nagios to do things like re-start a
> > guest if it is not responding.
>
> There are some ways to do so:
> 1) The "root" Server can access the filesystem of the guest, so you can
> use cron or similar to check for a file "inside" the guest from the side
> of the host, and than behave accordingly. For Example, you create a file
> "reboot" containing "server123" by nagios in a directory inside the
> guest and than have a process that collects this file from outside and
> do the reboot.
>
> 2) There are some helper scripts like the reboot script, but I dont how
> these work - might be this can do the job...
>
> 3) The standard way, using SSH or RPC or similar and do a normal network
> connect like you do with any other remote execution

Interesting. Never even thought of those options:) Thanks!

--

Chuck

"...and the hordes of M$*ft users descended upon me in their anger, and asked 'Why do you not get the viruses or the BlueScreensOfDeath or insecure system troubles and slowness or pay through the nose for an OS as *we* do?!!', and I answered...'I use Linux'. " The Book of John, chapter 1, page 1, and end of book