Re: [Vserver] major problem i have no clue where to look

From: Chuck <chuck_at_sbbsnet.net>
Date: Wed 23 Nov 2005 - 21:13:38 GMT

On Wednesday 23 November 2005 04:07 pm, Herbert Poetzl wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 22, 2005 at 07:32:55PM -0500, Chuck wrote:
> >
> > I am not even positive this is due/related to vserver.
> >
> > I have one guest which is a very busy radius server using a mysql
> > database.
> >
> > The previous incarnation had no trouble at all on its own machine.
> >
> > Now, we are missing stop packets quite a bit which is causing radius
> > accounting to go totally haywire.
> >
> > I have the added complication that this is a different radius software
> > than we previously used, and it is not possible to revert back to try
> > the old one. we previously used IC-Radius and are currently using
> > Free-Radius.. both use mysql.
> >
> > I guess my questions would be process of elimination...
> >
> > 1. is there anything within the vserver system that could be
> > considered a 'heartbeat' where a particular guest would be 'off' for a
> > miniscule time where it could possibly miss an incoming packet?
>
> only if the host would miss that packet too, as the
> networking is entirely on the host (not the guest)
>
> > 2. is there anything similar within iproute2 framework?
> >
> > 3. i remember reading somewhere and now cannot find it that there is a
> > way to increase the priority of a particular guest. i was wondering if
> > i did that for this one very slightly if it may ease its pain?
>
> doesn't affect network parameters, only task switching
> and task priorities ...
>
> > 4. when inside a guest, does mysql behave slightly slower than it
> > normally does? if so is there a cure? unfortunately this particular
> > system requires lightning fast mysql responses.
>
> slightly slower might be possible, especially if other
> tasks are running, but I doubt that this has any influence
> on the networking stacks, as they usually work much faster
> than mysql would even get a request (not to talk of
> answering it back)

hmm that guest runs radius, apache2, mysql, php4 and snmp

im thinking more along searching the radius itself for the answer especially
as none of the other 9 guests are having any trouble at all and if anything
appear to be more responsive then they were on their own machine..

ok thanks... gonna go pound my head against a stone wall for a while.. :)

> best,
> Herbert
>
> > 5. anyone have such an experience and a cure/workaround?
> >
> > --
> >
> > Chuck

Chuck
"...and the hordes of M$*ft users descended upon me in their anger,
and asked 'Why do you not get the viruses or the BlueScreensOfDeath
or insecure system troubles and slowness or pay through the nose
for an OS as *we* do?!!', and I answered...'I use Linux'. "
The Book of John, chapter 1, page 1, and end of book