Re: [Vserver] gentoo guest wont start up or find anything after failed emerge

From: Chuck <chuck_at_sbbsnet.net>
Date: Tue 29 Nov 2005 - 15:08:37 GMT

On Thursday 24 November 2005 05:38 pm, Grzegorz Nosek wrote:

got it working although i never did find out what caused the actual problem.
what i had to do was unpack my template, then copied all
of /bin /sbin /lib /usr/bin /usr/sbin /usr/lib over to the damaged guest.
then suddenly it started working.

> Hello,
>
> 2005/11/24, Chuck <chuck@sbbsnet.net>:
> > > You should be able to run ldconfig inside the chroot as it's (at least
> > > on some ancient box I'm looking at right now) statically linked, so
> > > try:
> > >
> > > chroot /vservers/davin ldconfig -v
> > >
> > > Also compare your /lib directories on the host and the guest.
> >

> > the guest cannot execute any files at all. nor can it find them even with
the
> > proper path given. if i just knew what could have happened within the
emerge
> > of a binary program for this to occur..... it was working fine before this
> > and nothing had been installed/changed in approx month before this.
> >
> > eron davin # chroot /vservers/davin /sbin/ldconfig -v
> > chroot: cannot run command `/sbin/ldconfig': No such file or directory
>
> Have a try with (from host)
> ldconfig -v -r /vservers/davin
>

> > it cant find bash it cant find ls it cant access anything. same behavior
as
> > when the guest was 'alive' before i stopped it. stopping it was error
prone
> > too since it could not execute shutdown. it simply has lost the ability to
> > execute anything or find anything..
>
> If you don't have libc installed in the guest, none of the standard
> binaries will run even if the proper /bin/bash, /bin/ls etc. binaries
> are in place. Do you have some statically linked shell handy? sash,
> busybox maybe?
>

> > i tried comparing the libs but that seems useless too in a way since the
host
> > and guest are vastly different in what is installed. the host is a full
> > featured workstation with literally hundreds of applications installed
while
> > the guest is a minimal remote desktop server. ill try to make lists and
> > diff them and see what happens..
> >

> Well, comparing /usr/lib on two vastly different systems is usually
> pointless. The basic stuff lives in /lib and should look mostly the
> same for all systems (with minor differences between distros). Your
> system should be able to boot without /usr at all (so that includes
> /usr/lib).
>
> For comparison purposes, here's a listing of /lib on one of my
> vservers (debian 3.1 basically).
>
> v824:/# ls /lib -F
> cpp@ libatm.so.1@ libcom_err.so.2@
> libdl.so.2@ libmemusage.so libnss_hesiod.so.2@
> libpopt.so.0@ librt.so.1@ libuuid.so.1.2
> init/ libatm.so.1.0.0 libcom_err.so.2.1
> libe2p.so.2@ libncurses.so.5@ libnss_nis-2.3.2.so
> libpopt.so.0.0.0 libslang.so.1-UTF8@ libwrap.so.0@
> iptables/ libattr.so.1@ libconsole.so.0@
> libe2p.so.2.3 libncurses.so.5.4 libnss_nis.so.2@
> libproc.so.3.2.1 libslang.so.1-UTF8.4.9 libwrap.so.0.7.6
> ld-2.3.2.so* libattr.so.1.1.0 libconsole.so.0.0.0
> libext2fs.so.2@ libnsl-2.3.2.so libnss_nisplus-2.3.2.so
> libpthread-0.10.so libss.so.2@ lsb/
> ld-linux.so.2@ libblkid.so.1@ libcrypt-2.3.2.so
> [...]

Chuck
"...and the hordes of M$*ft users descended upon me in their anger,
and asked 'Why do you not get the viruses or the BlueScreensOfDeath
or insecure system troubles and slowness or pay through the nose
for an OS as *we* do?!!', and I answered...'I use Linux'. "
The Book of John, chapter 1, page 1, and end of book