Re: [Vserver] Wiki : HowTo graph vserver usage with cacti

From: Grzegorz Nosek <grzegorz.nosek_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri 16 Dec 2005 - 18:39:16 GMT

Hello,

2005/12/16, Herbert Poetzl <herbert@13thfloor.at>:

> in general, if there is real interest, and folks (at
> least 3 parties) are volunteering to test and add the
> required userspace tools/interfaces, please contact me
> with a wish list (i.e. what kind of information you
> would like to monitor) and we can probably get an
> implementation done ... (of course, funding such
> features migh be an alternative too :)

Count me in for testing :)
My wishes for vserver monitoring include:
- loadavg and cpu% (somewhat faster than parsing /proc/virtual/*)
- network traffic (again, somewhat faster than iptables stats, a'la
/proc/net/dev maybe)
- reliable memory usage (current implementation apparently doesn't
account for shared memory, like libraries)
- disk i/o
- process-related stuff, like fork rate might be useful (ideally
per-user but that'd be quite an overhead probably)

Also (although not a monitoring issue and actually not vserver-related
really but maybe somebody has a patch handy), I'd love to see per-user
rlimits (the PAM-enforced ones are really per-login, so e.g. apache
doesn't obey them at all).

> please send me the patch (maybe again?) or point me
> to the url where I can have a look at it ...

Attached (against some older version but should apply quite cleanly)

> latest devel releases support per context CFQ queues,
> so that might get a little easier there :)

Thanks, I'll look into that.

Best regards,
 Grzegorz Nosek