Re: [Vserver] How do I unify my guests?

From: Enrico Scholz <enrico.scholz_at_informatik.tu-chemnitz.de>
Date: Sat 24 Dec 2005 - 16:25:38 GMT

jfl@robinlea.com (John Francis Lee) writes:

> I have succeeded in building an FC4 vserver host with several guest
> servers.
>
> I would like to "unify" them, share as many files among them as possible
> via hardlinks.
>
> [root@gw ~]# /lib/util-vserver/vunify -nv dhcp-dns
> Failed to initialize unification for this vserver
>
> What do I need to do here?

1. I would not use vunify because it requires a reference vserver with
   the same software; 'vhashify' does not have this limitation.

   'vunify' is more efficiently in ideal case ('vhashify' over a single
   vserver will increase needed space). But this ideal case is difficultly
   to reach so that 'vhashify' is more simple to use.

2. for 'vhashify', just do

   | mkdir /etc/vservers/.defaults/apps/vunify/hash /vservers/.hash
   | ln -0s /vservers/.hash /etc/vservers/.defaults/apps/vunify/hash/root
   --> do this once

   | mkdir /etc/vservers/.../apps/vunify # vhashify reuses vunify configuration
   --> do this for every vserver

3. vserver ... hashify

Enrico