Re: [Vserver] vservers and unionfs

From: Patrice Levesque <linux-vserver.wayne_at_ptaff.ca>
Date: Fri 06 Jan 2006 - 04:40:33 GMT

> > As i said, i'm new to vservers on linux... bsd jails i know with
> > unionfs so that i would not rebuild the system again on each necesary
> > update.
> > I was thinking of keeping all the core packages on the host in ro mode
> > and only install particular packages based on necesity. This ideea is
> > best described by slax livecd.

This is I think a "synthetic vservers" concept application. Tools for that are
distributed in the latest Jacques Gélinas' version of vserver userspace tools
available on http://www.solucorp.qc.ca/miscprj/s_context.hc?prjstate=1&nodoc=1

You can get a summary of the "synthetic vservers" technology on
http://www.solucorp.qc.ca/changes.hc?projet=vserver&version=0.40 in the "New
vservers commands".

By the way, Jacques' userspace vserver tools work perfectly with the latest
2.6-based ctx kernels, should anyone prefer the original 2.4 vserver management
style (I know I do!)

--