Re: [Vserver] [OPoll] BME inclusion into next stable release

From: Lars Hallberg <lah_at_micropp.se>
Date: Sat 07 Jan 2006 - 13:52:19 GMT

Herbert Poetzl wrote:

>OPINION POLL
>============
>
>please check (X) all points which apply ...
>(according to your opinion)
>
> [ ] I had no idea about this issue/deficiency
> [X] I did already know about it

Just found out the hard way... When doing rm -rf on a directory wher i
had /bin, /sbin, /lib and /usr bind mounted ro... or so I did beleve
(realy beleved I had umounted them too, but that was all my mistake) ....

> [ ] I'm already using BME (or similar) patches
> [ ] I will start using BME patches now
> [ ] I do not need/use this 'feature' at all

 [X] I see the need for it, but not bad enuff to bother, right now
(and I did only know about the issue, not the fix).

> [X] I think this SHOULD get into the next
> stable Linux-VServer release because ...
>
> [x] I am using it/want to use it
> [X] It's more a bugfix than a feature
> [X] I like the idea of ro --bind mounts
>
> [ ] I think this should NOT be included into
> the next stable release because ...
>
> [ ] it is not thoroughly tested
> [ ] it is not mature enough
> [ ] it adds unnecessary code
> [x] it should better be fixed in
> the mainline Linux Kernel

I been exprimenting with a vrescue script that reuses the host
environment, but starts in a temporary chroot in the vservers context
with the vserver directory mounted as /target and most of the host
system bind mounted in the root... To be usefull for user not trusted to
do anything on the host it will need ro bind mount.... and probably
allot more. Can post a proof of consept script if anyone is intrested.

My own use is just to start rsync, and i pretty much trust rsync.... So
it's not realy a *need* for me right now, but i can see the need :-)

/LaH