Re: [Vserver] Network, Shapping, util

From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert_at_13thfloor.at>
Date: Thu 09 Mar 2006 - 05:07:26 GMT

On Wed, Mar 08, 2006 at 09:19:25PM +0100, Roman Pretory wrote:
> First Thanks for Help

you're welcome!

well, as soon as it is well tested and considered
stable (which I think should not take too long for
the scheduler changes)

> is it usable only with util or also with Vserver

hmm, I assume that question was regarding tools,
so the answer here is, yes you can use it with
_any_ tools, as long as they support the api ...

> I need it for produktion use
>
> is there a group for beta testing is there a
> place free or could i help?!

testing is always welcome, reporting back even more :)

folks usually decide for devel or stable according
to their personal preference, while experimental, the
third branch/category is only for the bold ones, unless
it is a release candidate series as we have for 2.0.2
and 2.1.1 right now ...

usually devel has a bunch of nice features, but might
break somewhere and/or have small issues (which will
get fixed as soon as they are reported back), while
the stable branch is thoroughly tested before it is
released and should be clean ...

> #===========================================================================
> > ====================
> >
> > 3) traffice shaping
> >
> > have anyone a working howto already testet and running in production mode
> > seperate node, vservers and services per vserver/node
>
> TC is your friend here ...
>

> Thanks I have already meet "him" :-)
> Only need Infos of Produktion experiences, to make not errors twice

i.c. guess folks can help here ...

> #===========================================================================
> > ====================
> >
> > 4) move from vserver: 0.40 to util-vserver
> >
> > exist a howto??
> > convert vserver possible --without loosing anything
> > <http://www.13thfloor.at/vserver/d_rel26/v1.9.1/util-vserver-0.29.5.tar>
>
> hmm, you probably want util-vserver 0.30.210, the config
> is described on the FlowerPage (referenced on the main page)
> and probably the simplest way to 'upgrade' the config is
> one of the scripts floating around to do that, or alternatively
> the -m skeleton build method which should be quite simple
> to use to get a new config ...
>
> HTH,
> Herbert
>
> NO I don`t but if I read the pages
> (http://www.13thfloor.at/vserver/s_rel26/v2.01/)
> there is no info about vserver only util
> so I think this is the future or the better way, is it??

the util-vserver tools have become quite stable, and
they are currently considered the 'safe' way to go ...

> or is vserver so good as
>
> as i testet maybe by version patch 28 for kernel 2.4.xx util make a
> lot of troubles I can't get it to run clean,

sounds like it was a long time ago, anyway, any tools
which WorkForYou(tm) are fine, may they be from Jack
or Enrico or recently Hollow/Bonbons, just make sure
that they support what you want and that somebody cares
about fixing issues you encounter ...