Re: [Vserver] COW Patch: Support For chmod + chown

From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert_at_13thfloor.at>
Date: Thu 09 Mar 2006 - 18:20:25 GMT

On Wed, Mar 08, 2006 at 10:23:52PM -0800, EKC wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just wondering whether or not anyone is working on getting the COW
> patch to support chmod and chown operations?

the CoW stuff still could use some cleanup and
better error handling. AFAIK nobody is working
on that right now ...

> I'm thinking of using vserver to sell virtual hosting, and I don't
> want to place any restrictions on the ability of clients to
> transparently modify files. I also want to retain the space-saving
> benefits of vhashify. So, basically, I want to have my cake and eat it
> too.
>
> If no one is working on adding chmod and chown support to the COW
> patch, how hard would it be to make such modifications? I recently
> completed taking an Operating Systems class at University
> (implementing virtual memory in C code, file systems,
> multiprogramming, threads, etc...); I'm not sure if that qualifies me
> to hack the vserver code. I'm also not familiar with the Vserver code
> at all. How difficult would it be for me to add this functionality?

have a look at the broken out version, it will probably
help to get a feeling for the code ...

> I'm also concerned about breaking my upgrade path to future versions
> of vserver.

if you do a nice job, I don't see much issues with getting
the functionality into mainline ...

> I'm currently using the vserver kernel patch at:
> http://vserver.13thfloor.at/Experimental/patch-2.6.16-rc5-vs2.1.1-rc10.diff
>
> Should I be using a different patch?

nope, that one is probably the best choice ...

> Thanks in advance.
>
> BTW, vserver is awesome!

second that :)