Re: [Vserver] vlan

From: Chuck <chuck_at_sbbsnet.net>
Date: Tue 28 Mar 2006 - 17:12:34 BST

On Tuesday 28 March 2006 11:56 am, Oliver Welter wrote:
> Hi Chuck,
>
> > thank you! i think i can do it now well enough not to blow the entire
mess
> > up :) it's a shame they don't put more devices directly onto the mobo
(like
> > 4 or 8 ethernet ports).. we are getting some new 2 and 4 way opteron dual
> > core servers to replace all our intel ones and these only have 2 - gig
> > ethernet ports which only leaves one for public ip space so we will be
forced
> > to totally re-engineer this entire network still keeping things in
> > production. no fun. its not small.
>
> Bit off-topic, but there are excellent Multi-Port Ethernet Adapters out
> on the market that fit a half height PCI slot - a customer of mine uses
> some of them without any problems...

thanks! yes we currently use several 4way and 8way ethernet cards but the boss
gets something under his skin to 'simplify' and winds up creating more
headaches and complication than is present now. he doesnt like the idea that
only certain specific switch ports can only be used with certain specific /24
networks and so there has to be a chart on the wall to identify the port
blocks vs lan segments.. he wants to have all ports on the switch handle all
vlans.. in my opinion that is far more of a mess than what we use now.

--
Chuck
"...and the hordes of M$*ft users descended upon me in their anger,