Re: [Vserver] switching from gentoo style to plain

From: Bruno <bonbons67_at_internet.lu>
Date: Mon 17 Apr 2006 - 18:03:58 BST

On Monday 17 April 2006 18:44, Jean-François Leroux wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm trying and switch a gentoo vserver from the 'gentoo' init style to
> 'plain'.
> Here's what I'm doing
>
> emerge baselayout-vserver
> emerge -C sys-apps/baselayout
> exit
> vserver vs stop
> echo "plain" > /etc/vservers/vs/apps/init/style
> vserver vs start
>
> And there, my machine hangs. I loose the console and once I've been forced
> to manually reset :(
>
> Am I missing something ?
>
> Thanks.

What devices do you have under /dev?

You should make sure that (in guest):
- /etc/inittab does not spawn unwanted gettys
- /dev does not contain /dev/tty* used by host
- /dev is clean of other "host-only" devices

Did you do etc-update cleaning up everything? (also removing all
config-protected orphean files of baselayout) Reconfiguration of ttys by the
guest is probably not wanted.

You should still be able to access your host using ssh, even if the guest
grabbed the local ttys. (CTRL+ALT+DEL) on the keyboard should still send the
signal to host's init to.

Best,
Bruno