[Vserver] report comparing vserver w/ xen

From: Marc E. Fiuczynski <mef_at_CS.Princeton.EDU>
Date: Tue 02 May 2006 - 17:08:05 BST

Hello,

The following URL is for a paper that we wrote on "Container-based Operating
System Virtualization: A Scalable, High-performance alternative to
Hypervisors." At the performance, scale, and isolation level it compares
vserver with xen. We chose vserver simply because we use it on 600+ servers
for PlanetLab (www.planet-lab.org). The comparison is primarily between
container-based OSes (like vserver, virtuozzo, openvz, etc.) with
hypervisor-based systems (like xen, vmware esx, etc.).

http://www.cs.princeton.edu/~mef/research/vserver/paper.pdf

The paper is in draft form at the moment, but was submitted to the USENIX
Operating System Design and Implementation conference. We plan to make
updates to the paper periodically, especially to section 3. You'll see what
I mean when you read that.

Please send feedback to both the list as well as to me directly (i.e., reply
all).

Best regards,
Marc