Re: [Vserver] Quick question

From: Corey Wright <undefined_at_pobox.com>
Date: Mon 22 May 2006 - 17:15:17 BST

On Mon, 22 May 2006 10:29:20 -0400
Fareha Shafique <fareha@eecg.toronto.edu> wrote:

i assume you are following the process outlined on
http://linux-vserver.org/alpha+util-vserver under "vhashify".

> I just wanted to make sure hashify only unifies rpm packages, right?

no. vhashify (the helper application called with "vserver <name> hashify")
has no knowledge of the rpm database and what files are installed by rpm
and which are unique to the specific vserver (whether generated by an rpm
post-installation script or manually created by the user).

> Any
> other files I want to unify I will have to manually hardlink them?

no. when you run vhashify it creates hardlinks
within /etc/vservers/.defaults/apps/vunify/hash/0 to all files that are not
explicitly excluded within /usr/lib/util-vserver/defaults/vunify-exclude
(well, that's the file within the debian package; location may vary).

again, all files are "unified" that are not explicitly excluded.

here's something i had to learn the hard way: you can specify exclusions
for a specific vserver, but the vserver-specific exclusions are
supplementary, not complimentary. so when you
create /etc/vservers/<name>/apps/vunify/exclude it's best to begin that
file with a copy of /usr/lib/util-vserver/defaults/vunify-exclude.

again, if a vserver-specific exclusion list exists, then the default
exclusion list is totally disregarded, and only the vserver-specific
exclusion list is consulted when running vhashify on that vserver.

> And vdu gives the disk space counting only files that have one hardlink,
> but when I do a vdu on my vserver directory I get 0...why is that?

i've never used vdu, so i'll defer that question to someone more
knowledgable. i don't have any personal experience with managing the
vserver file systems (ie quotas) besides vhashify, though i intend to get
to that eventually.

corey

--
undefined@pobox.com