Re: [Vserver] Quick question

From: Fareha Shafique <fareha_at_eecg.toronto.edu>
Date: Mon 22 May 2006 - 18:44:48 BST

Corey Wright wrote:

>On Mon, 22 May 2006 10:29:20 -0400
>Fareha Shafique <fareha@eecg.toronto.edu> wrote:
>
>i assume you are following the process outlined on
>http://linux-vserver.org/alpha+util-vserver under "vhashify".
>

>>I just wanted to make sure hashify only unifies rpm packages, right?
>>

>no. vhashify (the helper application called with "vserver <name> hashify")
>has no knowledge of the rpm database and what files are installed by rpm
>and which are unique to the specific vserver (whether generated by an rpm
>post-installation script or manually created by the user).
>

>>Any
>>other files I want to unify I will have to manually hardlink them?
>>

>no. when you run vhashify it creates hardlinks
>within /etc/vservers/.defaults/apps/vunify/hash/0 to all files that are not
>explicitly excluded within /usr/lib/util-vserver/defaults/vunify-exclude
>(well, that's the file within the debian package; location may vary).
>
>again, all files are "unified" that are not explicitly excluded.

If hardlinks are created the inode numbers should be the same. But when
I hashified 2 of my vservers (I first used the -nv option to see which
files would be unified) I checked the files that were supposed to have
been unified and I don't get the same inode number? I don't get any
error messages, I'm not sure if my hashify is working? How can I check?
Like I mentioned in another thread, I created the second vserver using a
template of the first one. The number of links on most files in the
template is already more than one, and hashify does not increase the
number of these links.

>here's something i had to learn the hard way: you can specify exclusions
>for a specific vserver, but the vserver-specific exclusions are
>supplementary, not complimentary. so when you
>create /etc/vservers/<name>/apps/vunify/exclude it's best to begin that
>file with a copy of /usr/lib/util-vserver/defaults/vunify-exclude.

I'm using FC4, I can't seem to find the vunify-exclude file....