[Vserver] Re: Project Support Open Source (SOS) wanted to donation to your project

From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert_at_13thfloor.at>
Date: Sat 27 May 2006 - 15:41:11 BST

On Thu, May 25, 2006 at 06:07:28AM -0400, Bob Mutch wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Current we are donating $10,000 to 200 projects which is $50 per project.
>
> Please let me know what license your project is under and the
> page and location in the page where this is stated.

it is a kernel project with additional userspace
tools both GPL, so the relevant urls are probably:

http://www.linux.org/info/gnu.html
http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/util-vserver/

> We will be asking other companies to donate to the list we are
> compiling also.
>
> This is the acknowledgement I would like placed.
>
> SEO Company financially
> supports the free and open source software (FOSS) community with
> Project SOS (Support Open Source).

the wiki should allow for something very similar :)

http://linux-vserver.org/

> 2. You must place an acknowledgment of the each donation on your site.

think we can do that on the Hall of Fame

> 3. Your project must be currently active and has produced a software
> product.

is active and produces Linux-VServer :)

> 4. Your software product must be released under a free open source
> software license and this must be stated somewhere on your site.

GPL and see above

http://www.13thfloor.at/vserver/donate/

> Questions:
> 1. Will you be able to place an acknowledgement of each donation
> on your website?

I think so ...

> 2. What page would you be putting the acknowledgement on?

I'd say a main entry on the Hall of Fame and
a detailed page for each acknowledgement?
so something like:

http://linux-vserver.org/Hall+of+Fame
http://linux-vserver.org/SEO+Company

herbert@13thfloor.at

> 4. What license is your software project released under (GPL,
> LGPL, BSD, GNU, OSI approved, or what ever) and what is

GPL which is GNU and OSI approved

> the URL of the page where the license information is posted?

http://www.linux.org/info/gnu.html
http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/util-vserver/

> 5. What was the date of the first version of your software?

somewhere around October 2001

> 6. How many different versions of the projects software have been released?

many, roughly more than 1500 kernel releases and
at least 50 different userspace tool versions

> 7. Is your project currently active?

I'd say so .. we have a new release candidate
every week and many folks visit the IRC channel

> Also check out my Project SOS page.
> http://www.seocompany.ca/project-support-open-source.html
>
> If you don't mind you can digg me at digg.com and even leave a
> comment after you get a donation.
> http://digg.com/software/Company_throwing_money_at_open_source_projects
>
> If you blog or have friends that blog you may want to ask
> them to blog up on the project. The more noise we make the
> more companies that will use my list to make donations and
> the more money that will be sent to support your project.

just a small question, who verifies the lists _you_
put together and send to the companies? I mean, it's
not clear to me how to prevent misuse of that list
by e.g. adding a few additional paypal accounts :)